Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dining Out

Given my financial straits, I decided to pack a lunch today (something I almost never do). This means no local food review for the day, however it does give me the opportunity to talk about something I actually like about working in the Financial District. Lower Manhattan has numerous places to sit (and eat) outdoors when the weather cooperates. Yesterday, for example, I ate my uninspiring burrito at one of the tables set up opposite the New York Stock Exchange. These can be rather crowded, but are a good option when eating messy food (having a table protects your lap). Today, with the relatively unmessy quiche I had packed, I went instead to my favorite place to sit outdoors at lunchtime: Rector Park.

In contrast to other parks in the area, Rector Park is nearly always deserted at lunch. Rector Park is actually two parks, so if you can't find a pleasant, remote seat in one, you can always try the other. Both have plenty of benches, which offer the possibility of sitting in direct sunlight (my usual preference), deep shade, and something in between. There are also really nice-looking grassy areas in the middle, so you can come with a blanket and eat picnic-style.

Rector Park is on Rector Street between West Street and the Hudson River.

And, just for good measure, this is what I ate:

Mushroom & Gorgonzola Quiche with Bacon
1 frozen pie crust (the smaller size - probably 8")
2 strips bacon, cooked well and crumbled
8 large white mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 shot port
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
4 eggs
1 cup milk
salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Put the mushrooms, butter, and port in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat and cover. Cook for 8 minutes, remove from heat and uncover. The juices and butter should mostly have cooked off/into the mushrooms. Drain any remaining liquid.

Prick the pie crust with a fork in a few places, and bake at 400 for 7 minutes, then remove and reduce the oven temperature to 350.

Whisk the eggs and milk until blended and season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle the bacon over the bottom of the pie crust. Spread the mushrooms on top, as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the gorgonzola over the mushrooms. Slowly pour the egg mixture over everything.

Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments: