Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Welcome, Introduction, Explanation

I have for some time envied my midtown-working colleagues their lunch options, and the blog that describes them. More recently, I was disappointed to find that the 2007 list of cheap eats in New York magazine's annual Cheap Eats issue included only one restaurant that was south of Canal Street, and it was just two blocks south at that. This was definitely not an easily accessible lunch option from my Financial District workplace. Time Out New York's recent cheap eats issue had little more for me.

It's true that the options down here are limited. What is available is often unimpressive and overpriced. There are, however, also little gems: there is some delicious food; there are some reasonable prices. In these pages I will chronicle my lunches, and perhaps occasional other outings in the area.

Before I begin, there are a couple additional things potential readers might care to know about me, because they will influence the content here:

1. Despite my financial district location, I don't work a financial district job. In honor of this blog, I am granting myself a lunch budget of $10. (This is a big improvement over the $6 I used to allot myself.)

2. I don't eat much meat. If you're looking for burgers, I won't be able to help. I am not a vegetarian, but I only have meat at lunch maybe once a week.

3. I don't eat much lunch. At least a couple times a week, I sate myself with pretzels from my office vending machine. Reviews of those pretzels (or the things I have to substitute for them on the occasions when the machine runs out) will not be included here.

No comments: